Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day 2008

I was raised by my public servant father not to mix politics with business but today I simply can't resist. I believe that this is the most important election in my lifetime. For so very many reasons, both personal and global---and aren’t they the same, really? My heart has been pounding since I woke up. Yes, somewhere in the United States someone I don’t know is already casting a ballot. Please God let them do the right thing.

Let us all do the right thing.

My daughter is a teenager and consumed with all the things teenagers care about. I won’t embarrass her and list them here but anyone over thirty knows what I mean. Focused on her world the election is just peripheral, movement off to the side. Such a movement. I’ve tried to think how can I make this a memorable day for her? Something that she will be able to look back on and say, “I remember that day, where I was, who I was with…” in the same way we all remember special moments that, at the time, were not in our focus.

I decided today was about community. I’ve invited friends over. I’ll take time to prepare a special meal. We’ll eat and drink together. A community.

Please be a member of our global community today and vote. Appreciate the freedom you have to do so and the enormous opportunity that is offered to all of us today to participate in a process that allows us to confirm who we are and what we believe in.

For my part I have been telling anyone who cares to listen that I am visualizing Barack and Michelle and their beautiful girls on inauguration day. I imagine that it is snowing lightly and you can see flakes of snow on his coat. She’s opted not to wear a hat. I’m glad. She doesn’t need it. The girls are giggling. So much energy! I think they even have their chilly hands in a muff.

And I am brought to tears again. It is a wonderful new day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home